Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Whateverday

We have lost track of time. We are in the wait until the court date period. Today was nice because Dan and Joyce arrived after an 18 hour (yes, I correct myself from the previous blog) train ride and we had some good laughs about our adventures. They are blogging but have not been able to post it to the internet as of yet. So when they do you will have a lot of reading to do!

Yesterday we had Kolya prepare what we would call party gift bags for his friends in the orphanage. He initially wanted to take the entire bag of goodies and poor it out onto the room floor and have his buddies have at it. But we encouraged him to put one or two of each of the items into each bag then give them out to each individual child, as we would at a birthday party. We had parachute men, army men, airplanes, Dum Dums, beach balls, pencils, and other trinkets. Today we had beach balls everywhere on the playground! Graham pointed out that there was only one toy (a raggity old soccer ball) that wasn't given to the kids by us. We wondered where all the toys that all the other adoptive parents are bringing are going?! The beach balls did not last long as the boys were pretty rough on them and they developed holes pretty quickly. Next out of the Hickman gift suitcase are the frisbees everyone sent!

Each day we visit from 10:15 to 12:30 and 3:30 to 5:00 pm. We play with Anya and Nastia everyday along with all of the other "well" children. I already want to bring home a blond little girl about 6 or 7 y/o and another boy the same age as Kolya. Joe is relieved we only have one dossier! Joyce notices Joe's view point and points his relief out to me regularly!

We move to a new apartment tomorrow that is closer to the orphanage and has one bedroom and a pull-out couch in the livingroom. This will save us much money as we will be able to walk everywhere and not pay the driver. I expect this is where I will stay when the rest of the clan flies back to Denver.

Each day it gets harder and harder to leave Kolya at the orphanage. He gets sad and watches us get into the van and practacially follows us through the gate each time we leave. I know he waits for the day when he can climb into the van with us and spend his extra time as a family and not be left out. It will be hard for me to entertain him by myself after he has had a Papa and 2 siblings wrestling him and playing soccer, catch, and frisbee non-stop each visit. Mama will be boring. I know he will be sad to leave his friends at the orphanage also, and we will try to have him call once in awhile, especially within the first couple of months.

Sorry this blog isn't funny. Everyone is in bed and I am up typing. I feel obligated to enter our days activity, even if it is mundane, for those of you who are hanging on every word. I have taken more pictures of Nastia today and Joe will post them soon. I have other pics of the orphanage kids but will not post them as requested by the Director, David Avilla, and other people of Ukraine. I will show you all when we get home. The Matthew's Nastia is still at camp and we have not seen her yet. Joyce and Dan are trying their best to be patient. I know as of Aug. 1st they will be able to see her and we will celebrate big time that evening!

As a final note to the neighborhood, how are our cats doing? We miss them terribly! The stray kitties around here are getting lots of lovin from us along with scrap foods!

7 comments:

Brian and Tami said...

Wendy...Tami says she loves you and when she sees you she's going to give you a big kiss...for loving our little girl and reassuring her that we're coming SOON! No, your messages are not "mundane" as you have no idea how much we appreciate hearing of your daily entries as to how your journey is progressing. Can't wait to hear about the August 1st party! Dan and Joyce must be beside themselves knowing they are literally within reach of Nastiya Matthews and still can't see her. Only to make August 1st that much better!

Anonymous said...

Your kitties are great! I quizzed J.T. every day he came home from feeding them asking if he saw them all and how they acted and how the temperature in the house was. Salli took over today so no worries. I am enjoying reading your adventures.

Love,

Lynne

Matt and Aimee said...

Wendy,
Dito for us, we totally agree with Brian and Tami and are very greatful for anything and everything you share with us about your time at the orphanage, it somehow makes us feel closer to our Anya, and that is priceless.
I am sorry Koyla is sad when you leave him, that must be hard on you. One day very soon he will get in the van and go with you for endless family fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy and gang!! Kara here. Your blog and pictures are awesome - can't wait for Kolya to come home!! I'm reading every day and love the updates. Hope you all are having fun.

Talk soon,
Kara

Unknown said...

Hi Hickmans,
I just returned from a few days in Des Moines and one day in Chicago. Mom and I did some research on the cruise for next summer and will tell you all about it when you come home. Probably a 3 hour cruise to Gilligan's Island (I get to be Ginger), I mean a 4 night trip which stops in Key West, and two places in the Bahamas. All three of your children will have lots of stamps in their passports and will be experienced world travelers!

Trevor and Zane are working 8 hour days at the pool and praying for rain each day. Their prayers have been answered the last few days and the city is suffering from flooding. Sean is slaving away at 360 Architecture and they are up against a deadline for a big project this week. He has been working 10 hour days and counting his pennies for next semester's studies in Italy.

I have a few work trips planned for August and September in Colorado and can't wait to meet Kolya! I hope all is going well. Stay Safe.
Love to all of you,
Mischelle and Gang

Unknown said...

Wendy, I was going to respond to your question about how your sweet kitties are...but since I don't know much and Lynne has responded, I think you can be sure they are in good hands. As the "next door neighbor" I can report that I've seen activity at your house with coming and going of kitty caretakers. :)

Things sounds like they are going very well. I know, not as quickly as you and Koyla would like, though. I know you are anxious to just get him home! Thanks for continuing to update us, even if you think you have nothing important to say. I know I look forward to reading about how you all are doing!!!! Hang in there!!! (((HUGS))))

Anonymous said...

Wendy and family! What a great adventure you are having I love reading your Blog. Can't wait to meet that boy of yours. Everyone here is fine and Kyle has his first two teeth. Keep Blogging as it is so good to hear about you and your experiences. Good Luck and miss you.
Joy